Body butter recipe using essential oils. If you are struggling to sleep, have you tried using a homemade lavender body butter? Lavender is known to relax the body so we can sleep well.
Have you ever noticed that baby shampoos and bath washes contain lavender? Therefore, if lack of relaxation and disrupted sleep is of concern, try making a body butter with an essential oil such as lavender to apply before bed.
I love making homemade natural beauty products, especially easy to make skincare products with natural ingredients.
Homemade, Whipped Body Butter as Gifts
Not only can a lavender body butter be useful to you, it can also help someone else struggling to sleep. Therefore, if you are thinking of giving a sentimental gift, why not give a homemade gift set to close family and friends?
Homemade gifts made using natural ingredients go down really well. You can use a range of different essential oils to make a set of 3 or 4 body butter sets. For example, use lavender to make a body butter for a good night sleep, a neroli oil one for day time use, and a eucalyptus oil one for someone has the flu.
For the gift set, use old glass jars. Reusing jam or pickle jars is a good way to minimise waste and it will save you money from buying brand new jars.
This post contains affiliate links and ads. Purchasing from the links will provide this site with a small commission at no cost to you.
How to Sterilise and Reuse Old Glass Jars
- Wash the jars with soap and hot water. Make sure you remove the soapy residue.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C.
- Place the jars on a tray.
- Place the tray in the oven for 10 minutes.
- To sterilise the lids, place them in boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes.
Essential Oil Body Butter
There are two types of body butters that I often make. A lavender body butter for night time use and a floral scented body butter with neroli oil for use during the day. You can use any good quality essential oil of your liking.
The essential oil is completely dependent on your mood and when you want to use the body butter.
The recipe below is an easy DIY recipe that can be followed by beginners at any stage exploring natural homemade beauty products.
All you need are 2 main ingredients, a range of essential oils to use over time and an old sterilised glass jar. The next time you buy jam, do not throw away the jar, use it as a container for your homemade natural beauty products.
Benefits of Making your own Body Butter at Home
There are numerous benefits of making your own natural beauty products, including body butters. Below are a few reasons why you should consider making your own:
- Making your own will cut down on packaging waste that accumulates overtime from buying different brands.
- You can make the body butter in small batches therefore reducing the amount of wastage from unused products..
- Making them in small batches means you have a fresh batch to use every few weeks and you can use different essential oils every single time.
- When you make your own natural beauty products, you know exactly what you have added to them. Which means it is a natural, chemical free, non toxic product.
What You Will Need
Lavender Body Butter Recipe
- Glass bowl to melt ingredients
- Small saucepan to boil water
- Hand mixer or whisk
- 1 sterilised, reusable glass jar
- 1/2 cup cocoa butter
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- Place the cocoa butter and coconut oil in glass bowl.
- Place the bowl over a pan of boiling water to gently melt the mixture.
- Whisk the coconut oil and cocoa butter until it completely melts.
- Remove from glass bowl from the heat and allow it cool down a little (usually 10 mins).
- Once the mixture is lukewarm add the lavender essential oil and whisk again.
- Place the bowl in the fridge for 30 to 45 mins or until the mixture is semi hard.
- Remove the bowl and whip the mixture using a hand mixer for about 1-3 minutes to get a creamy and fluffy texture.
- Once you are happy with the texture, spoon the lavender body butter in a sterilised, air tight jar.
- The body butter is now ready for use whenever you need it!
Don’t want to make your own Body Butter?
If making your own homemade butter is too onerous, then think about supporting a small business. Your purchase will help keep them in business and ensure that you are still getting a body butter that is natural, handmade and chemical free.
Related Article: How to Make Aromatherapy Products Using Essential Oils
Save Money while Saving the Planet
If you want to engage with a community of beginners learning about how to achieve sustainable lifestyle whilst saving money, please join our Eco Home and Garden Ideas for Beginners Facebook Group.
It is a group to help you save money whilst on your journey to natural and eco-friendly living.